Thursday 11 October 2012

Lecture 10

Today's lecture on International Pavilions explained very well how different cultures and communities difine and approach the design process. For me, I feel that the thing i took away most was the communication of architectural ideas and concepts.

It was interesting to see how different architects display their own process in a physical sense, be it drawn, renders or constructed and how the general public interact with this. It seems that their is a skill in taking the process that occurs inside the architectural community and allowing the general public to understand, appreciate and enjoy being an audience to the design process. It was also interesting that the architects portrayed the way in which there design address major humanitarian  issues such as HIV / AIDS.

The Pavilion that was most interesting to me was the British Pavilion, and the way that the blended traditional Chinese ideologies with contemporary British city layouts. It was something that I have never considered or thought would work, but the results seems to be very interesting. Another aspect of the pavilions was the blended use of scales in the models, and seeing how human beings related the multi-use dwelling. I feel that this would be very useful to the assignment.

Finally, I liked the way that many of the architects played with the senses. I think that this was a very romantic idea that I was interested in the early stages of landscape architecture, but have slowly forgotten about as the years have gone buy. I really like the concept of not only having a building that functions well, but to create spaces that trigger a full sensory experience and leaves you with a power and lasting memory of you time in the space. I feel that this could be an important aspect of my spaces at smaller scales.



http://www.e-architect.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment